Wednesday, February 12, 2014

An Alternate Ending to I Left My Heart in Old Town

Hi Folks!

The very wonderful Military Spouse Magazine has released part two of I Left My Heart in Old Town - the time travel/romance short story/novelette that I wrote.  I am so excited over that!

Here is the link for it: http://militaryspouse.com/articles/i-left-my-heart-in-old-town-part-2-(1)/

But guess what?...  I have an alternate ending in mind for the story. 

I know what you are thinking.  Why would I not just end the story in the way I wanted it to end?  Well, I'll tell you why.  The love of Sofia's life is...Lucas, her son.  He is the man that she would do anything for.  Like a good mom, she will do whatever she has to in order to make him as loved and as successful as possible. 

That being said...who did she love more?  Ted or Antonio?  Antonio.  She loved Antonio more.  He loved her with all of his heart, his being, and more importantly...his spirit.  She loved that Antonio loved God, and the church, and that he would revere his spirituality and her, no matter what. 

But what does that say about Ted?  What about poor Ted?  Well...Ted had been the love of her life, until she met Antonio.  Does that suck for Ted?  Yes.  No doubt.  But isn't that the truth of life?  Can we truly guarantee our love to someone...forever?  Can we guarantee that no one else will capture our hearts or our eyes forever?  I don't think we can.  I think that what we can guarantee is our own behavior. 

Sofia answered the call of duty to her son and to her vows, but not to her heart.  It came at a cost.  Was she sorry?  Yes.  She was sorry.  She found a measure of happiness with Ted again, but nothing like what they had pre-time travel.  Nothing like the love she harbored in her heart for Antonio. 

So, back to the alternate ending.  What if?  Do I have the right to change the story?  Darned right I do!  LOL.  I am the writer, after all. 

With that in mind, read on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found myself walking back to Antonio's shop.  I don't know why.  My mind was telling me to go back to the square and back to the time where I'd made promises - lifelong promises.  Still, I stopped before the window of the leather shop and stared inside.

Antonio's strong hands were braced on his counter as he stared down at it.  His body shook as he cried so hard.  I began to cry, too.  I knew, then.  Softly, I knocked on the window.  He turned to face me and stared. 

An hour later, Antonio and I sat before Father Felix who was behind a large desk. 

"You look so distraught, Señora Sofia," he kindly said to me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but sobs came out.  Antonio fished a handkerchief from his pocket and gave it to me.  I then realized that that was the third time he'd done that for me.  My heart swelled for him just a tiny bit more.

"Tell him," Antonio said.

"He's going to think that I'm crazy," I pleaded to him.

"I'm sure he's heard far worse, querida," Antonio sweetly said to me.

Dearest one, he'd called me.  I sighed and nodded.  I would be strong.  I then turned to Father Felix and told him everything.  Everything. 

Father Felix sighed and then nodded.  He leaned forward, drank some water, and then leaned back again. 

"Señor Antonio: do you believe her story?"

Antonio nodded and shifted on his seat.  "I do, Padre.  At first, I did not, but...she showed me proof."

"Might I...see this proof?"

Antonio shook his head slowly.  "I am sorry, father.  I cannot afford to risk her safety - nor that of Lucas."

I swallowed and sighed as I regarded Antonio.  He really was the most wonderful man I'd ever known.  

Father Felix nodded and turned to me.  "Okay, Señora Sofia.  I cannot say whether or not your story is true; however, I don't believe that is why you are here."

I nodded in agreement.

"I have a question for you.  What would you do if...your future husband would come here to claim you."

"But he can't," I said to him.

He raised a finger to me.  "But what if he did?"

I started crying again.  It was a good thing that I didn't have makeup on.  "I...I would apologize to my husband.  I would apologize to my son."

"Would you go back with him?"

I shook my head in small movements, so as to not be brazen about my choice. 

"Why are you here, Señora Sofia?"

I looked at Antonio for a moment and then back to Father Felix.

"I am here to announce my betrothal to Señor Antonio Juarez Miller."

With that, Antonio reached for my hand and squeezed it.  I looked at him and then interlaced my fingers with his.  In his eyes, I saw strength.  He'd hold me up whenever I felt guilt over my choice to stay behind, with him.  I knew that he'd protect me and my son, as he'd done so from the moment I first arrived to his time.  And I would protect his heart for the rest of our lives.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment