Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Chastity of a Heroine - How I Decide

My favorite thing about writing a book is thinking about the female protagonist.  What problem is she having in her life?  How old is she?  Where does she see her life going? 

The next thing I think about is the catalyst for change. Does she take a different road home?  Does she get in a car accident?  Does she do something she is not supposed to do? 

Then, I think about the male that will serve as her love interest.  Where is he in his life?  How does the heroine fit in his day-to-day life?  How hard will he have to fight to get her?  How hard will he have to work to keep her? 

But back to the woman; how chaste will she be?  It all depends on her age, the time in which she is living, what she does for a living, and where she's been.  Usually, the women I write about tend to be more chaste if the time period I am writing in is long past.  Or, if they are painfully shy and distracted they might be chaste, too.  But if the woman is modern, grown and self-assured, she usually is not terribly chaste. 

I will admit that I slightly struggle with the fact that a heroine might go from being a virgin to a sex goddess in a couple hundred pages.  That stuff takes time! 

For my current story, the heroine was flowered until the mighty hero deflowered her.  However, their intimacy is the least of their problems.  Still, I don't want to give spoilers, so I will leave it at that.  For a short story that I successfully pitched to a magazine, the heroine will not be chaste.  I am going to have fun with that one.

In any case, I hope you keep reading!


Cyndia Rios-Myers


No comments:

Post a Comment