Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hiking for Inspiration...Arguments


I went hiking with my son and my husband yesterday morning.  I had to pull my husband away from his home reno work, but it was so worth it. 

So...the moment that was my inspiration found was the following: We went exploring by the river's edge, but stopped short.  My husband wanted to continue going down a trail that looked seriously undesignated.  I did not want to go down there, as it was undesignated.  (I fancy myself the trail expert, as I hike the trails at least twice a week while the hubs hikes them once every three months).  It was a battle of wills, and I won out.  But I feel like it wasn't a victory.  I like going down unpaved trails, but I also have to think about repercussions.  What if there were mountain lions down there?  What if our son would have gotten hurt?  What if the park rangers discovered our illegal hike and asked us not to return to the park?  Those were all consequences that I did not want to deal with, so we went the "right" way. 

In relationships, there are arguments and fights that feature no victors.  It could happen at home, at the movies, over dinner, or while hiking.  It can leave the "loser" of the argument feeling down in the dumps.  It can leave the "victor" feeling like he/she lost out on something, or made their partner feel bad. 

So, it is good food for thought, and probably something I will use in a future book.



Cyndia Rios-Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment