Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Great Writing...On TV

Thank God for the DVR.  THANK GOD!!!!  What a wonderful invention that is for the likes of me.  Being that I am an early riser means that I am also an early-to-bed type, too.  I would miss all sorts of great storytelling if it were not for the DVR. 

Here are the shows that do not sit on my DVR for long:

  • The Good Wife.  Dear Lord almighty!!! The writing is so good!! Alicia is the perfect heroine.  She is the wronged woman, the woman who picks herself up, the woman who kicks ass at her job (while feeling guilty about her kids), the woman who supports herself, the woman who forgives and the woman who moves on, too.  Her friends are good.  The villains are even better.  The court cases are so riveting that I am seated at the edge of my ottoman for the entire show. 
  • HGTV's House Hunters.  Okay, I know that this is scripted and not fiction at all, but you have to love and hate the backstories that come with the people trying to find a new home.  My favorite past episodes include a pretty, young, single woman the collected taxidermy objects.  She was so oddly awesome.  Another standout was an American woman married to an Italian male (in Italy) whose marriage appeared to be VERY rocky.  I cringed the entire time. 
  • Supernatural.  I'm late to the game on this one.  The writing is AWESOME.  Poor Dean and Sam!  Poor angels.  Poor world!!!
  • Nikita.  I am also late to the game on this one.  But WOW!!!  The writing is SHARP. 
  • The Blacklist.  Late to the game for this one, but I do love it.  James Spader is wonderful to watch in this show.  You never know what he'll do next (or why he'll do it). 

It is a great time for television, I think.  Never have I been this excited about staying at home and watching TV.  Today's shows are so good that big budget movies cannot compete with them, I think.  Yay for us!



Happy TV Watching (and reading, too!)

Cyndia Rios-Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment