Friday, January 10, 2014

How to NOT Write a Sex Scene

Okay, so I'm a bit of a wuss.  I was too scared to title this post "How to Write a Sex Scene," so I called it "How to Not Write a Sex Scene" instead.  I don't know why.  There are sex scenes in a few of my books.  But I guess that I don't have to worry about those scenes falling into the "wrong hands" (family members), as they would probably not commit to reading the book anyway.

So.  Writing sex scenes.  I enjoy this a lot.  It is very fun.  However, there are things that can interrupt your flow.  I'll describe them through bullet points.

  • Make sure that the timing is right for your protagonists to become intimate.  Flow is very important. 

  • Make sure that you are alone while you are writing sex scenes.  Nothing is worse than writing a steamy scene, only to be interrupted by your son, who might need assistance with wiping his rear.  Or, having your significant other come to you and ask you what you are doing. 

  • Don't make it tacky.  Remember that you are not the only party to the intimacy you are writing.  Your readers will also be a party to those romantic scenes.

  • Have each encounter mean something.  With each exchange, the relationship should progress.

The Song of the Sleeping Grass, Nice Shootin' Tex, and Summation of Love have a lot of sex scenes in them.  Those were fun to write, but almost embarrassing to publish. Still, all books have received reviews that I am happy with.

So, when writing sexy scenes, have fun.  Make sure that you can do so undisturbed and enjoy the feelings of excitement that will come your way!



Cyndia Rios-Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment