Friday, May 24, 2013

About That Review...


Reviews.  Writers need reviews.  It lets prospective readers (and buyers) know that the book is purchasable.  It gives them the confidence to take a chance on a new writer.

Up until yesterday afternoon, I was annoyed over the lack of reviews I was getting.  But then, something happened (sounds like a typical pivot point in my novels).  I went to a hair salon near my home and read a sign that stuck with me (probably owed to the Business Ethics class I took back when I was in college).  It read:  “A free bottle of XXX shampoo will be given to each customer once their Yelp review has been posted.”  That bothered me, but I decided to explore it later. 

My haircut was just okay, and very expensive, which bothered me, of course.  I then wondered why I thought I would have a satisfactory experience at that salon.  Then I remembered!  The salon was reviewed SO WELL on Yelp.  It had tons of 5 star reviews, which was why I chose it.  Most of those good reviews were probably owed to free shampoo.  Not cool.

So what did I do?  I sent an email to the wonderful folks at Yelp.  After all, I’ve done business with great vendors, which I owe to Yelp.  The classy folks at Yelp are now investigating said salon for “the violation in policies” exercised by the folks at that beauty salon. 

The truth is that I feel a bit like a tattle-tale; I mostly feel like I am doing a favor to customers who might visit that salon based on inflated Yelp reviews. 

But what does all of that have to do with book reviews?  I’ll tell you.  I will no longer solicit them (book reviews).  I will no longer guilt my readers into leaving them.  If you buy my books, thank you.  That is all I have to say on that. 

 

 

Cyndia Rios-Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment